Basmati rice 400 gm
Mutton 500 gm
Lime 1 no
Cashew nuts 50 gm
Mint a few springs
Fat 115 gm
Corainder leaves 1/4 bunch
Onions 115 gm
Ginger 5 gm
Green chillies(finely chopped) 5 gm
Garlic 3 flakes
Milk 100 ml
Curd 225 gm
Red chillies(without seeds) 4 to 5 no
Turmeric a pinch
Cardamom 1 gm
Cloves 1 gm
Cinnamon 1 gm
Bay leaf 1 gm
Fennel a pinch
Saffron a little
Wheat flour paste enough to seal the pan
1. Wash, clean and cut mutton into small pieces.
2. Peel and slice the onions, coriander leaves and mint.
3. Peel ginger and garlic.
4. Grind ginger, red chillies, garlic and nuts into a fine paste.
5. Heat fat. Fry onions till golden brown and crisp. Remove.
6. Add bay leaf and ground masala and fry.
7. Add meat and fry.
8. Add tepid water and cook with lid on till meat is tender and the gravy is thick.
9. Boil rice till three fourth cooked.
10. Add salt.
11. Strain curd with fine muslin cloth.
12. Powder cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel, turmeric, chopped green chillies, coriander leaves and mint. Add powdered spices, lime juice and mix well.
13 Add curd mixture to mutton. Stir well.
14. Dissolve saffron in some milk and sprinkle over half the rice.
15. In a big thick vessel put in layers of rice, mutton and fried onion. Repeat till all ingredients are used up.
16. Pour remaining milk and fat over the rice. cover the vessel and seal the edges with wheat flour paste or a thick plate.
17. Place in a oven at 143 degree centigrade for one hour and Serve very hot.