Butter beans curry/ambat prepared in a traditional sourashtra method a protein rich diet which contains sourashtra curry powder (rich in lentils and spices) and butter beans. Butter beans curry/ambat is a best side dish with any Indian breads, sambar and rasam rice. A common and compulsary menu item in the lunch during sourashtra weddings and other functions. Tomato in this butter beans curry gives a tangy taste. Try this traditional Sourashtrian butter beans curry recipe and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Butter Beans (shelled) 200 gms
Onion chopped 1 no
Tomato chopped 2 no
Green chillies chopped 3 no
Sourashtra Curry Powder 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Black gram 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves a few
Coriander leaves 1 spring
Asafoetida a pinch
Oil 5 ml
1. Cook butter beans with salt in a pressure cooker. It should be 90 percent cooked, iover cooking will mash the butter beans.
2. Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds and black gram. Add curry leaves, green chillies and onion when mustard seeds starts to splutter.
3. Fry onion till golden brown.Add chopped tomatoes, salt and continue frying in a slow flame.
4. Add sourashtra curry powder, asafoetida and continue frying till the raw smell goes and oil comes out seperately.
5. Add 150 ml water and bring to boil.
6. Add cooked butter beans and cook in a medium flame till the gravy comes to a thick consistency.7. Garnish with coriander leaves and Serve hot with steamed rice, roti, phulka and chapathi.