Raw rice (Idly rice) 500 gm
Black gram 150 gm
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
1. Wash rice and black gram. Soak both rice and black gram and fenugreek seeds seperately for atleast 2 hours.
2. Grind black gram along with fenugreek seeds in a wet grinder in to a fine paste by adding water in between when it thickens. It will take atleast 30 to 45 mins for grinding into a smooth paste. Transfer into a big vessel.
3. Now grind raw rice into a paste but not too smooth as black gram. Takes 15 minutes to grind. Add salt before 5 minutes.
4. Now mix both the batters into the same big vessel.
5. Allow batter to ferment atleast for 12 hours.
6. Heat a dosa tava (cast iron tava) and brush it lightly with oil. When hot, pour a ladel full of batter, spread using a circular motion to make a thin dosa.
7. Pour oil on the edges and cook on both sides.Fold over when crispy.8. Serve hot with Sambar and Coconut chutney
Variations: Replace oil with ghee to make ghee roast or ghee dosa.