Raw rice (Idly rice) 500 gm
Black gram 150 gm
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Wash rice and black gram. Soak both rice and black gram seperately for atleast 2 hours.
2. Grind black gram along with fenugreek seeds in a wet grinder in to a fine paste by adding water in between when it thickens. It will take atleast 30 to 45 mins for grinding into a smooth paste. Transfer into a big vessel.
3. Now grind raw rice into a paste but not too smooth as black gram. Takes 15 minutes to grind. Add salt before 5 minutes.
4. Now mix both the batters into the same big vessel.
5. Allow batter to ferment atleast for 12 hours.
6. Mix and Spoon out the batter into greased idli moulds and steam for 10 to 12 minutes.