Split pigeon peas(Toor dal) 60 gm
Onion finely chopped 1 no (medium size)
Tomato finely chopped 2 no (medium size)
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Green chillies chopped 4 no
Sambar Powder 2 tsp
Tamarind juice of 1 big lemon size
Curry leaves 12 to 14 no
Coriander leaves 2 spring
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Black gram 1/4 tsp
Cumin 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil 15 ml
1. Wash split pigeon peas and soak it for 15 mins in water in the ratio 1:2 1/2. Cook pigeon peas in pressure cooker for 12 mins in slow flame.Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a big kadai. Add mustard seeds, black gram, cumin and curry leaves and let the mustard seeds splutter.
3. Add chopped onion and green chillies and fry till the colour of onion starts to change.
4. Add chopped tomato, turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt. Fry in a slow flame till the tomato smashed.
5. Soak tamarind in a small quantity of water. Strain and add it to the frying ingredients.
6. Add cooked pigeon peas and add required amount of water if necessary so that the sambar will be not be too thick or thin.Cook in slow flame for 5 mins.
7. Garnish with chopped corinader leaves and Serve hot with Rice.
Tips: You can add vegetables to add taste to sambar. 2 tsp of ghee makes sambar more delicious.
Variations: Leave tamarind juice and add one more chopped tomato which makes sambar for idly, dosa and pongal.