Masala dosa is an Indian pancake stuffed with vegetable masala which is one of the best breakfast menu in South Indian hotels/restaurants served with coconut chutney and sambar. Stuffed vegetable masala adds spiciness to the dosa. People who visit South India especially Chennai, Bangalore never miss this delicious Masala Dosa. Try this masala dosa/stuffed spicy pancake and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Raw rice (Idly rice) 500 gm
Black gram 150 gm
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
Potato 300 gms
Carrot 100 gms
Fresh Green Peas 100 gms
Onion 3 nos
Tomato 2 nos
Green chillies 4 nos (Chopped)
Ginger garlic paste 3 tsp
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Curry leaves 15 nos
Coriander leaves 1 spring
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Black gram 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Oil 20 ml
1. Wash rice and black gram. Soak both rice and black gram and fenugreek seeds seperately for atleast 2 hours.
2. Grind black gram along with fenugreek seeds in a wet grinder in to a fine paste by adding water in between when it thickens. It will take atleast 30 to 45 mins for grinding into a smooth paste. Transfer into a big vessel.
3. Now grind raw rice into a paste but not too smooth as black gram. Takes 15 minutes to grind. Add salt before 5 minutes.
4. Now mix both the batters into the same big vessel.
5. Allow batter to ferment atleast for 12 hours.
6. Cook potatos in a pressure cooker adding salt to it. Cook carrot and peas in salted boiling water till its 3/4th cooked. Keep aside and let it cool.
7. Peel the skin and cut the potato into small pieces.
8. Heat oil in a thick bottom kadai. Add mustard seeds, black gram and curry leaves.
9. Add chopped onions and green chillies when mustard splutters. Fry in a slow flame till the raw onion smell goes.
10. Add chopped tomatos, ginger garlic paste, asafoetida and salt. Fry in a slow flame till tomato gets smashed.
11. Add carrot, peas and potato. Fry for another 1 minute.
12. Add some water, mix well and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.13. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
14. Heat a dosa tava (cast iron tava) and brush it lightly with oil. When hot, pour a ladel full of batter, spread using a circular motion to make a thin dosa.
15. Pour oil on the edges and cook on both sides. Add a laddle of stuffing in the center and fold over when crispy.16. Serve hot with Sambar and Coconut chutney
Variations: Replace oil with ghee to make ghee masala dosa.