Brinjal/eggplant fry is a simple and quick spicy recipe popular in Tamil nadu and other parts of south India. Brinjal/eggplant cut into small pieces or into lengthwise and shallow fried with basic Indian spices, onion and tomato. You can find this dish served as a vegetable with South Indian meals in Restaurants and Hotels serving south Indian food. Brinjal/eggplant fry goes well with rice and roti. I prefer to have this by mixing with white rice. Try this eggplant recipe, feel the mouth watering taste and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Brinjal 500 gms
Chopped Onion 2 nos
Chopped Tomato 2 nos
Chilli powder 2 tsp
Garam masala powder 1 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves 12 to 15 nos
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Black gram 1/4 tsp
Oil 25 ml
1. Cut brinjal into small pieces. Wash it in cold water and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a thick bottomed non-stick kadai. Add mustard seeds and black gram.
3. Add chopped onion once the mustard seeds start to splutter. Fry in a medium fire till the raw smell of the onion reduces.
4. Add chopped tomatoes and continue frying for 2 or 3 minutes.
5. Add salt, garam masala powder, chilli powder and curry leaves. Continue frying till the toamto gets smashed well.
6. Add cut brinjal and fry in a slow fire till it becomes soft and well cooked.7. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with white rice, any variety rice and Indian breads.