Herbal dosa(Indian Pancake) is a home recipe which is popular among Sourashtrians and they prepare during festive occasions mostly for dinner. Herbal dosa is prepared with normal Dosa batter in which onion; ginger, turmeric powder and some spices are mixed with the batter. The batter should be little thick in consistency for better results. Herbal dosa can be served with coconut chutney, sambar and ginger chutney. Try this simple variation in dosa recipe and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Onion(chopped) 100 gm
Pepper coarsely ground 2 tsp
Green Chillies chopped 2 no
Ginger chopped 2 inch
Curry leaves chopped 1 spring
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida 2 pinch
Raw rice (Idly rice) 500 gm
Black gram 175 gm
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Salt to tasteOil for frying
1. Wash rice and black gram. Soak both rice and black gram and fenugreek seeds seperately for atleast 2 hours.
2. Grind black gram along with fenugreek seeds in a wet grinder in to a fine paste by adding water in between when it thickens. It will take atleast 30 to 45 mins for grinding into a smooth paste. Transfer into a big vessel.
3. Now grind raw rice into a paste but not too smooth as black gram. Takes 15 minutes to grind. Add salt before 5 minutes.
4. Now mix both the batters into the same big vessel.
5. Allow batter to ferment atleast for 12 hours.
6. Add onion, green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, pepper powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida and mix well. Keep aside for 2 hours.
7. Heat a dosa tava (cast iron tava) and brush it lightly with oil. When hot, pour a ladel full of batter, spread using a circular motion to make a thick dosa.
8. Pour oil on the edges and cook on both sides. Fold over when fried.9. Serve hot with Sambar and Coconut chutney