Khusboo idly is a variety of Indian rice cake popular in Tamil Nadu which is soft, fluffy and big. Idly batter prepared for khusboo idly contains more black gram and some dry yeast which gives softness and fluffyness. Normal idly moulds are used so above idly is not big. You can taste this idly in Tamil nadu at most of the hotels and restaurants. Try this idly/Indian rice cake recipe with small variation and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Raw rice (Idly rice) 500 gm
Black gram 180 gm
Dry Yeast 5 gm
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Wash rice and black gram. Soak both rice and black gram seperately for atleast 2 hours.
2. Grind black gram along with fenugreek seeds in a wet grinder in to a fine paste by adding water in between when it thickens. It will take atleast 30 to 45 mins for grinding into a smooth paste. Transfer into a big vessel.
3. Now grind raw rice into a paste but not too smooth as black gram. Takes 15 minutes to grind. Add salt before 5 minutes.
4. Now mix both the batters into the same big vessel.
5. Add yeast to 10 ml of warm water and let it dissolve. Add to the batter and mix well.
5. Allow batter to ferment atleast for 12 hours.
6. Mix and Spoon out the batter into greased idli moulds and steam for 10 to 12 minutes.
Note: You can add 1/4 tsp of Baking soda to the batter before making idly if the batter is heavy. Different idly moulds are available in the market for different shapes.