Onion uthappam is a variety of Indian pancake stuffed with chopped onions fried in a thick bottomed tava. Onion uthappam is one of the famous breakfast menus in the restaurants serving south Indian food. Grated carrot and chopped green chilly can be added along with onions to add more flavour and taste. Try this simple Dosa variation and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Onion(chopped) 250 gm
Raw rice (Idly rice) 500 gm
Black gram 175 gm
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Salt to tasteOil for frying
1. Wash rice and black gram. Soak both rice and black gram and fenugreek seeds seperately for atleast 2 hours.
2. Grind black gram along with fenugreek seeds in a wet grinder in to a fine paste by adding water in between when it thickens. It will take atleast 30 to 45 mins for grinding into a smooth paste. Transfer into a big vessel.
3. Now grind raw rice into a paste but not too smooth as black gram. Takes 15 minutes to grind. Add salt before 5 minutes.
4. Now mix both the batters into the same big vessel.
5. Allow batter to ferment atleast for 12 hours.
6. Heat a dosa tava (cast iron tava) and brush it lightly with oil. When hot, pour a ladel full of batter, spread using a circular motion to make a thick dosa.7. Put chopped onion on the top and press it slightly so half of onion goes inside batter.
8. Pour oil on the edges and cook on both sides in a slow fire. Remove once onions are cooked well.9. Serve hot with Sambar and Coconut chutney