Tomato rice/Thakkali pongal is a popular variety rice prepared in a traditional Sourashtrian way living in South India especially in Madurai, Dindugal, Salem, Bangalore, etc. Tomato rice is a flavoured rice prepared with Jeera rice or basmati rice, tomato, onion and basic Indian spices like cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, garlic and bay leaf. Tomato rice is similar to biryani but this rice dish contains more tomato. Tomato rice is called as Thakkali pongal by Sourashtrians and prepared during most of the small functions and family get togethers.Traditionally prepared tomato rice in sourashtrian way is available in the hotels, restaurants, street food shops run by Sourashtrians. For best taste use good ripen tomatoes. Try this traditional Sourashtrian recipe and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Basmati or Jeera Rice 500 gm
Onion (chopped) 3 nos
Tomato (chopped) 12 nos
Green chillies 8 nos
Cinnamon 5 to 6 strips
Cardamom 6 to 10 nos
Cloves 8 to 10 nos
Fennel 2 tsp
Bay leaves 3 nos
Chilli powder(optional) 1 tsp
Ginger chopped 1 1/2 inch
Garlic chopped 6 flakes
Curry leaves 1 spring
Coriander leaves 1 spring
Mint leaves a few
Salt to taste
Oil 15 ml
1. Wash Basmati rice and soak it in 900 ml of water for 15 to 30 mins.2. Heat oil in a 5 ltr pressure cooker. Add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, fennel and fry in a slow flame till the cashewnut colour changes slightly brown.
3. Add chopped Onion, green chillies(slit vertically) and curry leaves and continue frying till the raw smell of onion subsides.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, chopped ginger and garlic, corinader leaves, mint leaves, salt and continue frying in slow flame till tomato get mashed.
5. Add Basmati rice and continue frying for 2 mins.
6. Add water in which we soaked rice. Bring to boil and pressure cook for 10 minutes in a slow fire.
7. Remove from heat and transfer to a big plate.
8. Add ghee(optional) and mix well.
9. Serve hot with kurma and raita.
Note: Use good ripen tomatoes for best taste.