Mixed vegetable idly is a variety of Indian rice cake stuffed with spicy stir fried vegetables. Usually Rava idly prepared with sooji is stuffed with spices and vegetables which are available in all south Indian restaurants. For a change we tried with the normal idly and stuffed with stir fried mixed vegetables which came out delicious and improved the nutritional value of normal idly and became little spicy. Mixed vegetable idly was awesome with sambar(spicy lentil curry) and coconut chutney. Try this simple variation normal idly (Indian rice cake) with the leftover stir fried vegetables and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Raw rice (Idly rice) 500 gm
Black gram 150 gm
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Potato 100 gms
Carrot 100 gms
Peas 100 gms
Cauli flower florets 100 gms
Pepper powder 2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Cumin powder 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves 6 to 8 nos
Salt to taste
Oil 1 tbsp
1. Wash rice and black gram. Soak both rice and black gram seperately for atleast 2 hours.
2. Grind black gram along with fenugreek seeds in a wet grinder in to a fine paste by adding water in between when it thickens. It will take atleast 30 to 45 mins for grinding into a smooth paste. Transfer into a big vessel.
3. Now grind raw rice into a paste but not too smooth as black gram. Takes 15 minutes to grind. Add salt before 5 minutes.
4. Now mix both the batters into the same big vessel.
5. Allow batter to ferment atleast for 12 hours.
6. Wash all vegetables. Peel potato and cut into small pieces. Cut carrots into small pieces.
7. Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadai. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
8. Add cut vegetables and fry in a medium fire.
9. Add salt, sprinkle some water and continue frying in a slow fire.
10. Add pepper powder, garam masala, coriander and cumin powder when the vegetables are half cooked and continue frying till all vegetables become tender. Remove from heat and keep aside.
11. Mix and Spoon out the some batter into greased idli moulds, add 2 spoon of stir fried vegetables and spoon out some batter to fill the mould. Steam for 10 to 12 minutes.