Egg dosa is a variety of dosa stuffed with beaten egg and spiced up with some pepper powder. Egg dosa is a popular dish in south India especially in Tamil nadu served in most of the non-vegetarian hotels and street shops. A nutritious Indian pancake prepared with the normal dosa batter and beaten egg spreaded over one side of dosa or mixing one beaten egg with the batter required for a dosa in a separate vessel and cooked in a tava. Egg dosa is served with sambar(spicy lentil curry), coconut chutney and a spicy kara chutney. Try this dosa variation and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Egg 12 nos
Raw rice (Idly rice) 500 gm
Black gram 175 gm
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Oil for frying
1. Wash rice and black gram. Soak both rice and black gram and fenugreek seeds seperately for atleast 2 hours.
2. Grind black gram along with fenugreek seeds in a wet grinder in to a fine paste by adding water in between when it thickens. It will take atleast 30 to 45 mins for grinding into a smooth paste. Transfer into a big vessel.
3. Now grind raw rice into a paste but not too smooth as black gram. Takes 15 minutes to grind. Add salt before 5 minutes.
4. Now mix both the batters into the same big vessel.
5. Allow batter to ferment atleast for 12 hours.
6. Heat a dosa tava (cast iron tava) and brush it lightly with oil. When hot, pour a ladel full of batter, spread using a circular motion to make a thick dosa.
7. Beat one egg well and add salt. spread it over the dosa. Sprinkle some pepper powder over it.
8. Pour oil on the edges and cook on both sides in a slow fire. Remove once egg is cooked well.
9. Repeat the steps6,7,8 with the remaining batter and egg.10. Serve hot with Sambar and Coconut chutney