Chicken mulligatawny curry is a mild spiced curry prepared with chicken,pepper and spices in a roasted bengal gram based gravy with coconut milk. Kashmiri chilli powder is used instead of normal red chilli powder. Chicken mulligatawny curry tastes good when served with white rice, roti, chapathi, naan, biryani etc. This protein rich curry is served in restaurants, hotels serving south Indian non vegetarian food. Try this authentic south Indian curry and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Chicken 500 gms
Sliced small onions 50 gms
Ginger garlic paste 2 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon 2 nos (each 2 inch)
Tomatoes(chopped) 110 gms
Curry leaves 1 spring
Kashmiri chilli powder 2 tsp
Coriander powder 5 gms
Cumins 1/4 tsp
Fennel 2 gms
Peppercorns 15 nos
Split bengal gram 5 gm
Turmeric powder 1/8 tsp
Coconut 1/4 no
Clarified butter/ghee 20 ml
Onion(sliced) 1 no
Salt to taste
Salt to taste
1.Clean chicken and cut into medium size pieces.
2. Roast split bengal gram and keep aside.
3. Heat 10 ml ghee in a thick bottomed vessel. Add small onion, cinnamon and fry in a slow fire till the raw smell reduces.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, chicken and salt. Continue frying.
5. Grind corainder powder, kashmiri chilli powder, cumins, fennel, peppercorns, turmeric powder and roasted split bengal gram to a fine powder.
6. Add ground masala to the chicken and continue frying in a slow fire till the tomato gets smashed well.
7. Make two coconut milk extractions. Keep the first extraction aside. Add 2nd extraction to the chicken and contiue cooking in a slow fire till the chicken is tender.
8. Add 1st coconut milk extraction once the chicken is tender and bring to boil.
9. Remove from heat and keep aside.
10. Temper the curry with sliced onion and curry leaves using remaining ghee.11. Serve hot with white rice, roti, naan and chapathi.