Okra/Bhindi/Vendaikai pepper fry recipe is a quick and simple stir fried recipe prepared with cut pieces okra and spiced up with pepper powder and curry leaves, asafoetida gives a mouth watering aroma. Okra/bhindi/ vendaikai pepper fry is a low calorie spicy vegan dish and can be served as a side dish with rice, chapathi, roti and paratha. This dish is served as a side dish with south Indian meals in most of the restaurants and hotels in Indian serving south Indian food. Use young and tender okra/bhindi/vendaikai for best result of the recipe. Try this spicy vegan/vegetarian dish and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Okra/Bhindi/Vendaikai 500 gm
Onion chopped 1 no
Pepper powder 4 tsp
Salt to taste
Curry leaves a few
Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Black gram 1/4 tsp
Oil 1 tbsp
1. Wash okra/bhindi/vendakai and cut into small pieces.
2. Heat a kadai. Put the cut okra/bhindi/vendaikai and fry in a medium fire for 3 to 4 minutes or till the stickiness of okra goes. Remove and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds, black gram and curry leaves.
4. Add chopped onion once the mustard seeds starts to splutter and fry in a medium fire till the raw smell reduces.
5. Add okra/bhindi/vendaikai and continue frying in a medium fire.
6. Once the okra/bhindi/vendaikai is half cooked add salt, pepper powder and asafoetida and continue frying in a slow fire till the okra/bhindi/vendaikai is cooked well.7. Serve hot as a side dish with rice, roti and chapathi.