Black chick peas curry/konda kadala curry/katchana ambat is a mildly spiced curry prepared in an authentic Sourashtrian way and is a protein rich main course dish. Black chick peas curry is a simple and easy recipe prepared in most of the Indian families atleast once in a week. White chick pea's curry is mostly available in Indian restaurants as channa masala, kadalai curry,etc. Chick peas curry recipe has several regional variations with different taste and flavour. Sourashtra curry powder is mildly spiced as it contains only corainder seeds, fenugreek, turmeric, dry red chillies, black gram and par boiled rice. Spices like cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, etc are used in this curry. Chick peas curry is served with white rice, chapathi, roti, appam,etc. Try this protein rich authentic Sourashtrian recipe and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Dry Black Chick pea's 100 gms
Onion chopped 1 no big size
Tomatoes chopped 3 no medium size
Sourashtra Curry Powder 3 tsp
Curry leaves a few
Coriander leaves 1 spring
Oil 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
1. Wash dry black chick peas and soak in water 12 hours.
2. Add salt and pressure cook soaked black chick peas in a pressure cooker till one whistle.
3. Heat oil in a kadai. Add chopped onion and fry in a slow fire till raw smell reduces.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, salt, curry leaves and continue frying till the tomatoes get smashed well.
5. Add sourashtra curry powder and fry in a slow fire till the oil comes out or separates.
6. Remove excess stock from the pressure cooker.
7. Add fried curry paste, coriander leaves to the pressure cooker and pressure cook the black chick pea's with curry paste till one whistle.8. Remove from heat and Serve hot with rice, roti,chapathi,etc.