Chicken baffad curry is a spicy Indian chicken curry recipe from Maharashtrian and Goan cuisine popular in Goa, Maharashtra, Mangalore, Bangalore etc. Chicken baffad curry is prepared with marinated chicken in a roasted spices based gravy/curry with coconut milk. Kashmiri red chilli powder gives a natural colour to the curry while the red chilli powder and pepper corns makes the curry hot and spicy. Protein rich chicken baffad is a good combination with roti, chapathi, naan and white rice. Chicken baffad curry is served in most of the restaurants in Karnataka, Goa and Maharashtra.Try this chicken baffad curry recipe at home and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Chicken 500 gms
Onion chopped 1 no
Tomato chopped 2 nos
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder 2 tsp
Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon 1 inch piece
Cloves 3 nos
Garlic 3 flakes
Pepper corns 10 nos
Poppy seeds 5 gms
Cashew nuts 2.5 gms
Split bengal gram 2.5 gms
Coconut 1/4 no
Green chilli chopped 1 no
Vinegar 2 tbsp
Ginger chopped 1/2 inch piece
Oil 2 tbsp
Ghee/butter 2 tsp
Small onion 3 nos
Curry leaves a few
Salt to taste
1. Cut chicken into medium pieces and wash. Add some salt, red chilli powder and mix well and keep aside.
2. Roast split bengal gram and cashewnuts lightly.
3. Grind roasted split bengal gram, cashewnuts with turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, garlic, peppercorns and poppy seeds using vinegar.
4. Heat oil in a thick bottom vessel. Add chopped onions and fry till it raw smells reduces.
5. Add ground masala and continue frying for 2 minutes.
6. Add chopped tomatoes and salt, continue frying till tomatoes gets mashed well.
7. Add chicken, cut ginger and green chillies. Add salt and continue cooking in slow fire till water comes out.
8. Make 3 extractions of coconut milk. Add third extraction cook in a slow flame till the chicken is half cooked.
9. Add second extraction and cook till the chicken is tender.
10. Add first extraction, bring to boil and remove from heat.
11. Temper the chicken baffad curry with small onions and curry leaves using ghee or butter.12. Serve hot with white rice, roti, naan, chapathi.