Hotel sambar/tiffin sambar is a popular tiffin/breakfast recipe prepared with onion, tomato, vegetables in a spicy lentil based curry. Tiffin sambar is served along with idli(Indian rice cake), dosa(Indian pancake/crepe) and pongal in the restaurants and hotels in south India. This type of tiffin sambar is famous in Tamil nadu especially in south Tamil nadu hotels and street food shops serving idli, pongal and dosa. Try this easy hotel sambar recipe and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Split pigeon peas(Toor dal) 30 gm
Gram flour 2 tbsp
Onion finely chopped 1 no (medium size)
Tomato finely chopped 3 no (medium size)
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Green chillies chopped 4 no
Sambar Powder 2 tsp
Curry leaves 12 to 14 no
Coriander leaves 2 spring
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Black gram 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil 15 ml
1. Wash split pigeon peas and soak it for 15 mins in water in the ratio 1:2 1/2. Cook pigeon peas in pressure cooker for 12 mins in slow flame.Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a big kadai. Add mustard seeds, black gram and curry leaves and let the mustard seeds splutter.
3. Add chopped onion and green chillies and fry till the colour of onion starts to change.
4. Add chopped tomato, turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt. Fry in a slow fire till the tomato get smashed. Add gram flour and continue frying in slow fire for 2 minutes.
5. Add cooked pigeon peas and add required amount of water if necessary so that the sambar will be not be too thick or thin.Cook in slow flame for 5 mins.
6. Garnish with chopped corinader leaves and Serve hot with idly, dosa and pongal.
Tips: You can add vegetables like carrot, beans, drumstick to add taste to sambar. 2 tsp of ghee makes sambar more delicious.