Malabar/Kerala chicken curry is a famous recipe from Malabar region of Kerala and a popular curry recipe in Kerala cuisine. Malabar chicken curry is prepared with chicken and roasted ground spices in a thick coconut milk based curry or sauce. This chicken curry is little spicy and the aroma of coconut and spices makes one mouth watering. This Kerala chicken curry is available in restaurants and hotels serving Kerala cuisine and also in most of the south Indian restaurants and hotels as it is a very popular curry in south India. Try this authentic Malabar/Kerala chicken curry recipe and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Chicken 500 gms
Onion chopped 100 gms
Potatoes 150 gms
Coconut 1/2 no
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Red chillies 2 no
Pepper corns 6 to 8 no
Fennel 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala Powder 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
Oil 15 ml
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves 12 to 14 nos
Salt to taste
Small Onion 5 gms
Cinnamon 1 inch piece
Cloves 4 nos
Oil 10 ml
1. Clean and joint chicken. Drain water thoroughly.
2. Grind chopped onion, pepper corns, turmeric powder, red chillies, garam masala powder, fennel, coriander powder to a fine paste.
3. Peel and cut potatoes into medium size pieces.
4. Grind coconut and make three extractions of coconut milk.
5. Heat oil in a thick bottomed vessel. Add some chopped small onions and mustard seeds.
6. Add ground masala, chicken and curry leaves once the mustard seeds start to splutter.Fry in a slow fire for 5 minutes.
7. Add salt and continue cooking in a slow fire till the chicken is 70 percent done.
8. Add cut potatoes, ginger garlic paste and third extraction coconut milk.
9. Add second extraction of coconut milk when potatoes are cooked and continue cooking till the gravy becomes little thick.
10. Add third extraction of coconut milk. Bring to boil and remove from heat.
11. Heat oil in a kadai. Add remaining chopped small onions, cinnamon and cloves. Pour over the curry when the onion turns brown.12. Serve hot with rice, biryani, chapati and parotta.