Chettinad egg curry recipe is a spicy curry/gravy from chettinad cuisine prepared with hard boiled eggs cooked in a spicy onion tomato based gravy with a attractive aroma and flavour. Chettinad egg curry is more spicy than any other normal curry and suits well with white rice, roti, chapati and idly(Indian rice cake). This curry recipe is very simple to make in a reasonable cooking time. This egg curry is served in authentic chettinad restaurants and most of the restaurants in south Tamilnadu. I adopted this recipe from one of my foodie friend Aarthi who has a lovely website www.yummytummyaarthi.com. Try this spicy Chettinad Egg Curry Recipe at home and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Boiled Egg 4 nos
Onion chopped 2 nos
Tomato chopped 2 nos
Green chilli slit 1 no
Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tbsp
Pepper powder 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Cumin powder 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon 1 inch size
Curry leaves a few
Salt to taste
Oil 2 tbsp
1. Slit boiled eggs a little and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds, fennel seeds and let it splutter.
3. Add chopped onion, green chilli and curry leaves. Fry in a slow fire till onion becomes translucent.
4. Add turmeric powder and continue frying for 2 minutes.
5. Add ginger garlic paste, pepper powder, chilli powder, cumin powder, cinnamon, coriander powder and continue in a slow fire till oil comes out.
6. Add chopped tomato and continue frying in a slow flame for 5 minutes.
7. Add salt and fry till the tomatoes get smashed well.
8. Add required amount of water, add boiled eggs and cook in a slow fire till the curry becomes thick and oil comes out.
9. Remove from heat and serve hot with white rice, roti and chapati.