Spicy Ginger chutney is a delicious chutney served with hot idli and dosa in most of the idli kadai's in Tamil nadu. I have tasted this chutney at madurai idli kadai's. Recently I tasted this chutney in Bangalore at a small take away which was delicious with a homely taste. I tried the same chutney at home and it came out awesome. This chutney is very simple to cook and a small variation from the usually prepared onion tomato chutney. This chutney is a good combination for idli and dosa. Try this idli kadai style spicy Ginger Chutney at home and Enjoy Cooking!!!
Split Bengal Gram 10 gm
Onion (chopped) 1 no medium size
Ginger (Chopped) 25 gms
Red chillies (dry) 5 no
Green chilli 1 no
Tomato(chopped) 2 no medium size
Curry Leaves a few
Coriander leaves a small bunch
Salt to taste
Asafoedita a pinch
Oil 10 ml
Water 50 ml
1. Fry split Bengal gram, red chillies in little oil till the bengal gram colour changes slightly.
2. Add chopped ginger, onion, green chilli and fry for 2 r 3 minutes.
3. Add tomato, curry leaves and fry for another 1 minute.
4. Add salt, asafoedita and grind together after it becomes cool.
5. Temper with mustard seeds, split black gram, coriander leaves and curry leaves.
6. Pour the grinded chutney in a kadai, add some water and bring to boil.Keep it in slow flame for 2 minutes.
7.Serve Hot with Idly(Indian rice cake) and Dosa(Indian Pancake).